Signs That Your Electrical Panel Needs Repairs
How to Know When Your Electrical Panel Needs to Be Repaired
Your electrical panel is a vital part of your home’s electrical system. It is actually one-third of the entire operation. Electrical systems are simple in nature, but the inside of an electrical box isn’t so simple. Your electrical panel is probably the most important part of your home. It is what allows the electricity from the electrical company to flow into the wiring of your house.
In order to keep your home as safe as possible, it is important to check on your electrical panel every now and then. You also want to be able to spot when your panel is in need of repairs, but you will only know this if you physically look at the panel every so often. To learn how to spot when your electrical panel needs to be repaired or replaced, continue reading below.
How to Know When Your Electrical Panel Needs to Be Replaced
The life expectancy of your electrical panel can vary, but the average lifespan is around 60 years. That said, if your panel is exposed to excessive moisture or dust, this will significantly shorten its life. Once your electrical panel has hit 60 years old, it is time to look for a replacement. However, if you notice signs of deterioration, you may have to replace it sooner than anticipated.
Some signs to look out for are:
The Electrical Panel Feels Warm to the Touch:
You could have frayed or damaged wires behind the panel.
- The Panel Design Is Outdated: An outdated design means an old electrical panel. These panels will look rusty and dirty, they also weren’t designed to handle the demand for power that houses require today.
- Burning or Melting: Nothing inside the panel or outside the panel should ever get so hot that it melts. Call an electrician the moment you notice this.
- Flickering or Dimming Lights: It could be a sign your panel is old or doesn’t have enough power flowing from it.
- Circuit Breakers Fail or Trip a Lot: The circuit breaker is designed to protect your home from electrical fires. If it is cutting off the electricity regularly, you could be having problems with your electrical panel.
Burning Smells and How to Prevent Them
One thing your electrical panel should never smell like is fire or burning. Essentially, if you are smelling a burning smell coming from your electrical panel, it is time for a replacement and you should turn off your power and call an electrician immediately. This is nothing to mess around with. A fire could spark at any moment when a burning smell occurs.
There are two reasons this could be happening:
- Faulty Wiring: If the wiring was installed poorly or is getting old, it could be causing the insulation to burn, resulting in the smell.
- Bad Electrical Panel: If the power is overloading the box and a circuit doesn’t trip, then it is time for an immediate replacement.
This can be prevented with proper installation of wiring, and maintenance appointments with a professional. Keeping your electrical system working efficiently is more than a convenience, it’s a necessity.
Are Your New Light Bulbs Flickering?
Most light bulbs today will come with a thirteen-year lifespan. Therefore, if you are noticing your new lightbulbs flickering or dimming randomly, chances are it isn’t because of the light bulb. Before you go wasting money and replacing the bulb, you may want to check your electrical panel first.
Be sure to check for any of the above-stated signs of a bad electrical panel first, but nonetheless, you will need a professional’s help to properly diagnose this problem. An electrician will be able to tell you if the problem if repairable or if you will need a new electrical panel. When it comes to electrical work, it is always better safe than sorry.
JDV Electric Knows Electricity
At JDV Electric, safety and satisfaction are their number one priority. They have been a trusted part of the community since 2005, and they work hard to keep your home running efficiently. They also offer discounts to seniors, military, and first responders. Don’t hesitate when you’re looking for electrical services in Lansdowne, PA, JDV Electric is always there!
Schedule Service Call
Sign Up for Our Safety &
Annual Electrical Safety
Inspections & More
- Lifetime installation and 2-year repair warranties
- 15% discount on products and services
- Exclusive specials
- No service fees
- Transferrable plan if you sell your home