Save Money on Holiday Decorations This Upcoming SeasonLighting, Seasonal
How to Save Money on Holiday Lights
This holiday season, homeowners should spend their money on presents and four-course meals, but some residents will see their energy bills spike by tens of dollars because of their holiday decorations. So, what’s the solution? Does one have to choose between a dark house versus a high energy bill?
There are plenty of energy-efficient options on today’s market that allow for brilliant displays at a reasonable price. Homeowners should consider using LED lights, purchasing battery-operated displays, and even using candles.
Make the Switch to LED Lights
Incandescent lights are becoming less and less popular each year. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, LED lights consume 70 percent less energy than other holiday lights. For example, using LED lights to power a Christmas tree for 12 hours over 40 days will cost 27 cents. On the other hand, doing the same thing with incandescent bulbs will cost around $10.
Aside from being cost-effective and eco-friendly, also benefits of switching to LED lights include:
- They last longer than incandescent lights.
- They’re more durable for external use, meaning they can withstand rain, sleet, snow––the works.
- They’re brighter than other holiday lights on today’s market.
Moreover, many LED lights work alongside smartphone apps. This gives homeowners even more control over their light displays. Also, homeowners should practice electrical safety when curating their light displays.
Change to Battery-Operated Light Displays
With battery-operated light displays, one doesn’t have to worry about long extension cords or overpowering outlets. Instead, they simply purchase a battery-operated light display, install some AA or AAA batteries, and place the decorations wherever.
Homeowners can also purchase battery power banks that charge using a USB cable. When selecting the best power bank, homeowners should look for products that supply a high voltage. The higher the voltage, the more brilliant the light display.
Examples of battery-operated holiday displays include:
- Fairy lights
- Pathway lights
- Window displays
- Christmas tree decorations
Consider Traditional Candle Displays
Using candle holiday decorations aren’t only cost-effective; they bring a natural aura to one’s home. They’re also clean-burning and don’t require a lot of maintenance. Homeowners can use candle-lit decorations by:
- Placing them around entryways
- Use them to illuminate dinners and other meals
- Curating light displays in the home’s windows
Be Mindful When Using Candle Displays
While using candles brings an elegant touch to one’s home, one should exercise caution when using them. According to the National Candle Association, these measures could reduce the likelihood of a fire:
- Secure the area from pets or children who may knock any decorations over.
- Don’t leave candles unattended for more than a few hours at a time.
- Keep candles away from fans or vents, as this can create uneven burning.
- Keep candles more than three inches apart to prevent them from sparking on one another.
- Limit the items around the candles, including plants, books, and smart home devices.
An electrical services company can give more information about staying safe this holiday season.
About JDV Electric
JDV Electric is more than an electrical company; it’s a family-owned business with years of community involvement and dedication. Interested parties can reach out to these professionals serving Lansdowne for electrical services.
Schedule Service Call
Sign Up for Our Safety &
Annual Electrical Safety
Inspections & More
- Lifetime installation and 2-year repair warranties
- 15% discount on products and services
- Exclusive specials
- No service fees
- Transferrable plan if you sell your home