How To Avoid These 3 Common Electrical Hazards
Be on the Lookout for These Dangerous Electrical Scenarios
The advent of electrical lines and the modern light bulb were just the beginning of the ever-increasing technology revolution that has changed the course of humanity forever. Most people cannot even imagine a world with none of the modern comforts the world contains. People use electricity every single day. Many only have jobs because electricity is such an important part of the country’s infrastructure, and this isn’t only electricians.
Anyone who works on a computer or uses a phone has electricity to thank for at least part of their job. The problem with something so necessary is that it is often taken for granted and is used without full knowledge or understanding.
Hazard 1: The Overplugged Power Strip
Power strips are a great way to give an outlet additional space for plugs. However, there is a limit to the way this can be used. There are several guidelines to follow when using power strips in order to prevent overloading the circuit and either throwing a breaker or, worse, causing an electrical fire.
- Don’t Double Up: Do not plug one power strip into another, as it will be far too much drain on just one outlet. This can cause the outlet to overheat and melt and possibly catch fire.
- Use Surge Protectors: When using a power strip, be sure that it has its own breaker switch in order to prevent circuit overload.
Hazard 2: Aged or Damaged Wiring
Electrical wiring codes are continually being revised and updated because engineers are always developing ways to make electricity safer to use. Unfortunately, houses cannot be updated as easily as laws and codes. While wires may be viable for a very long time, there are many things that can happen to damage them.
This damage can lead to shorts and sparking in the wires. Wires can be damaged by wear and tear of age, pests (such as mice, rats, and moths), lightning, and human error. Here are some signs that electrical wires in a home need to be inspected:
- Frequent breaker trips
- Lights flickering
- Scorch marks
- Burning odors
- Warm to the touch outlets
Hazard 3: The Overpowered Lightbulb
The third hazard is more dangerous than it may seem at first glance. For most homeowners, any lightbulb should do, right? As long as someone can screw it in and it lights up, it’s fine, right? Unfortunately, this is not the case, and the consequences can be disastrous. Using a lightbulb that is above the recommended wattage for a particular lamp can cause too much electricity to be pulled through the circuit, which can cause overheating, melting, and, again, fire.
The bulb itself may become too hot and catch lamp shades or curtains on fire. This can be a major problem, particularly with the traditional incandescent bulbs. The solution to this can be to use LED bulbs or other lower wattage bulbs that still produce a good deal of light.
About JDV Electric
Since 2005, JDV Electric has been providing reliable service. They have an A+ rating with the BBB and provide their knowledgeable technicians with fully stocked trucks for quicker repair times. Call them today for electrical service in the Lansdowne, PA area.
Schedule Service Call
Sign Up for Our Safety &
Annual Electrical Safety
Inspections & More
- Lifetime installation and 2-year repair warranties
- 15% discount on products and services
- Exclusive specials
- No service fees
- Transferrable plan if you sell your home